Update here. I went for a couple of rides, total of 100km, on my new
584x48's. They certainly feel nice, and at that volume you really are
dropping noticeable weight from each wheel. By the end of the second ride I
was thinking the rear felt a little too cushy. A pinch test said there was
still plenty of pressure. The next morning, though, the tire was completely
flat. I removed the tube (quite easily, no issues), inflated it a bit, and
it seemed to be holding air just fine. I thought that for sure I'd be able
to see a hole in the clear tubing. I swept the inside of the tire and found
nothing. So, mounted it back up (easy, no issues), inflated it carefully,
and set the bike aside. A few hours later I checked and it had lost a lot
of pressure. So, took it out again (easy, no issues), inflated it and
started running it through a sink full of water. I finally found a very
tiny leak. Checking the tire in that location I found a tiny bit of wire in
the outer tread of the tire but couldn't feel it on the inside. Removed the
wire, marked the leak location on the tube, wiped with alcohol (removing my
mark in the process, of course), and after it dried put on a Park glueless
(I like that my Mac autocorrected that to clueless) patch, praying I put it
in the right location. I put on the patch with air in the tire, figuring
it's best not to stretch the patch area too much. Installed again (easy, no
issues), inflated, and set the bike aside. We'll see if the patch is
successful. Even if it is, though, I think the "TPU tubes are less prone to
flats" argument seems to be debunked. Which is too bad. I really want to
like these, but the rationale is dwindling in my experience.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee WI USA