About that ruff...   The WTB Nanoair TPU tubes I'm "trialing" also included
a little O- ring on the stem. I was a bit stumped for a moment regarding
their purpose as there was no mention of them in the included literature.
IIRC they were at about the midpoint of the stems (which incidentally are
black plastic on the WTBs).  I finally decided exactly what Peter suggests
- that they are meant to protect the stem-tube junction from direct contact
with the edge of the drilled rim hole.  I installed them at the base of the
stem prior to inserting it through the rim.  I did pump them up slowly with
the RH tires popping into place on I9 rims at about 40 psi - though the
tires had already seen several hundred miles of use on those rims. To my
mind, the whole thing was a much simpler process than dealing with
measuring and installing liquid sealant.

Fourflys, I get your' comment regarding weight savings - heck, I'm planning
to try TPUs on my full fendered and front racked Platypus which tips the
sales around  32 lbs.     *However* - my experience has always been that
reducing the rotational weight of the wheels/tires yields a noticeable
 dividend in performance, especially when climbing or accelerating.  It's
the same reason that I've long considered a primo wheel set to be a
worthwhile upgrade.

Steve in AVL