Perception of speed is just that: subjective. Enjoy your ride! To go
fast, get a good night's sleep, eat & drink well, be well, don't wear
flappy clothes, find your fast tires (which may or may not the most
durable). In that order.

The engine, the air, then tires.  If it's hilly, OK, lose weight, but
on the open plain, don't worry. On rolling hills extra momentum might
even help.

On rough roads, my ancient prejudice has recently been scientifically
confirmed: fatter, lower pressure tires may seem slower, but aren't;
the song of tubulars and high pressure skinny tires is a siren song.

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Angus <angusle...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> If it were me, changing the tires to a good quality lighter weight
> tire would be the first thing I would do.  Panaracer Paselas (non-
> tourguard) roll reasonably well and relatively inexpensive.  I've got
> 32s (measure 28-29) on the Rambouillet and 35s (measure 35) on the
> Quickbeam.  Heavier/more durable tires on the Rambouillet were
> noticeably/measurably slower.
>
> Angus
>
> On Jun 13, 9:17 pm, andrew hill <neurod...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> hi folks,
>>
>> i loved riding my first century recently, on a Sam Hillborne, but it was a
>> pretty slow (though mostly comfortable) push. so the way i have it set up
>> it's excellent for city commuting and loaded touring / randonneuring, but
>> still think i want a gofast for club/training rides, built up with lighter
>> wheels/rubber, etc.
>>
>> the thing is - the expanded geometry of the Sam fits my build (and that of a
>> few other odd ducks who have recently posted) at 5'11 with an 84.5 pbh,
>> rounding up.
>>
>> so - of the current frames new or in circulation, what lightish, expandedish
>> frame should i be looking for for?  should i simply try another Sam?  maybe
>> a size down with a longer stem?  :)
>>
>> just musing - but i figured y'all would have some opinions.
>>
>> thanks,
>> andrew

Bill Gibson
Tempe, Arizona, USA