Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Lighter rubber and/or lighter wheels on the Sam are an excellent place to start.
And I appreciate the suggestion to enjoy the slowness.  :)

But it's not really an illusion - on a different bike (29er mtn bike with 2.2"
knobbys) i can do my 6 mile morning commute (in) in about 20 minutes if I hit
most of the lights.  on the Sam, it's more like 30.  for commuting I could care
less about the speed, but it's definitely different on the two bikes, and not
in the direction I'd expect.

For a 100 mile push though.. I do care if it's 6 hours or 8, on the bike.
I'll try lighter rubber and figure out a 30 mile training course or something
and see how it feels.  But I do think an expanded geo SimpleOne, ur-Amos, etc.,
is in my future.

Best,
Andrew