I posted similar questions to yours a while back as "Speed Up My
Sam."  I had just abandoned my "racing" bike for a Sam and was
struggling with how sluggish it felt when climbing and generally
losing 2-3 mph over my average pace.  I ultimately just rode the
century with my commuting wheels, fenders and racks still attached and
finished about a half hour slower than my previous century but with
energy to spare and virtually no discomfort.  I attribute this to the
cushioning of the larger tires and the superior comfort afforded by my
rider position on the Sam.  I would certainly like to have a set of
lighter wheels (32 spokes) and tires for training and events, but for
me, when riding anything over 50 miles, the benefits of ultralight
wheels and skinny hard tires give way to concerns of comfort, and I
don't ride "events" less than a metric.  Certainly, if I was doing
triathlons I'd push for something with considerably more zip, but I
that's not my scene.

I'm also considering an A.H.H., a used Ram or the someday Amos for my
sport riding, but still would want them set up with relatively plush
tires and durable 32 spoke wheels.

I am very interested in the opinions of other Sam owners who have gone
with the lighter Rivish wheels and tires.

D.G.