Hi, sometimes excessive google searching gives me a headache. :P

I currently have noodle bars on my homer commuter, 42cm width. My
commute is about 12.5 miles each way and sometimes they can get a bit
uncomfortable. I spend all my time on the tops.

I also have a specialized mountain bike that I hit the trails with
during lunch. The trails are pretty insane, all tree roots and stuff.
We'll do a good mix of the trails and road, usually about 12 miles
total.

Between the two bikes, the flat bars of the mtn bike are drastically
more comfortable for me. I think it's two things... the hand/wrist
position and the wide hand position, wider than my shoulders. They
have a rise and a backward sweep, typical of pretty much every
production mtn bike these days. So I'm thinking of fitting that style
bar to my homer and wondering if you guys have any advice on making
the switch as painless as possible, in terms of what parts to use,
what needs to be swapped out, etc. I do really like my bar-end
shifters so if I could use those with thumbies or something that would
be cool. I would also like to fit a pair of retro looking ergo grips,
which i assume only come in mtn bike bar diameters?

All advice appreciated.
Thanks!