Last year I toured on Schwalbe Marathon 700x47 (actual 41) and they
were fine. Sure, they're a bit sluggish but fine for touring. No flats
and performed well off-road. I got them through Rivendell and they
were really quite cheap. And considering how well they wear, they're
about one of the best deals out there for a tire. Currently I have
Schwalbe Marathon 700x40 (37?) on my Hilsen and am heading out for a
camping trip. I like those also, I pulled them off my commuter. I'm
expecting them to perform about the same, just a little less cush.

--mike