I did this:  signed up for a framebuilding class, measured my youngest
son who needed a good road bike, and built a virtual clone of my
Rambouillet.  The only change I made
was to increase the fender clearance slightly under the headtube and
the seat stay bridge since my Ram frankly runs at the minimum usable
clearance with 28mm tires.  The lugged bike turned
out to be spectacular:  it handles, if you can believe this, slightly
better than the Ram (although I suspect that my handling test was
biased due to less weight in the front bag).  No matter;  he loves the
bike.  I spent about twelve Sundays building this and loved every
minute of it.  If you can spare the time and cash, do it.

Steve
Ames, IA