I took a welding class (Welding for Artists, or something like that)
at the local community college a few years ago and got to try
everything and developed instant respect for the simplest welds in my
life. I got to try both gas and electric and gas brazing and plasma
cutting, and it's on my list. But teaching school science starting
last week, 6 weeks too soon for me -maybe it's time to retire and ride
and make bikes and whittle spoons and kuksas...need to gather school
supplies...

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Steve <sring...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did this:  signed up for a framebuilding class, measured my youngest
> son who needed a good road bike, and built a virtual clone of my
> Rambouillet.  The only change I made
> was to increase the fender clearance slightly under the headtube and
> the seat stay bridge since my Ram frankly runs at the minimum usable
> clearance with 28mm tires.  The lugged bike turned
> out to be spectacular:  it handles, if you can believe this, slightly
> better than the Ram (although I suspect that my handling test was
> biased due to less weight in the front bag).  No matter;  he loves the
> bike.  I spent about twelve Sundays building this and loved every
> minute of it.  If you can spare the time and cash, do it.
>
> Steve
> Ames, IA
>
> On Jul 27, 1:25 pm, William <tapebu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Grant is apparently going to teach us how to draw a bike frame in his
>> little step by step way.  I'm going to follow along.  I want a custom
>> frame that somewhat resembles a 58cm 650B A. Homer Hilsen.  The
>> critical differences will be that I want it 130mm spaced and want it
>> to be a lighter frameset.  I don't know if I'll ever get this frameset
>> made, or whether it will be a Rivendell or an Ebisu or a Davidson or
>> something else.  But I'm looking forward to drawing it.  I've done a
>> fair amount of drafting table work in Engineering school, but never
>> went ahead and drew a bike.  Looking forward to it.

Bill Gibson
Tempe, Arizona, USA