> On the North Side, Clark and Devon hardware - northeast corner (my old
> neighborhood!)
>
> Also check out Gary's Cycles, one or two blocks south on the east side of
> Clark.  That LBS is essentially the same as it was in 1962.

I will have to check them out.  As it happens, the street
configuration there is among the least bike friendly in the city, so I
avoid whenver possible (when I go to Rogers Park I usually take Damen
to where it turns onto Ravenswood, then Ravenswood north - the
cyclists have beaten a path at Peterson).

It would seem there must be some way to get a bolt on either side of a
spring so you can attach one to the bridge and the other to the
fender.