on 8/9/10 9:15 AM, Rene Sterental at orthie...@gmail.com wrote:

> Does this only happen when you brake and goes away if you stop braking?
>
> Does I happen in bikes with canti brakes but not on bikes with sidepull
> brakes?
>
> I've had this problem only on a Gunnar with canti brakes. Have yet to
> descend fast on the Atlantis to see if it will happen. Front
> cantilever brakes when applied hard at high speeds produce this effect
> due to fork flex and forces applied when braking as the fork flexes
> and extends back repeatedly (my crude explanation).
>
> The first time this happened to me on a long fast descent it scared me
> badly as I thought the fork was broken (carbon).
>
> This doesn't seem to happen with sidepulls as they are bolted where
> there is no fork flex. I'm pretty sure brake type, leverage, pads, rim
> quality are some additional variables that play a role here. A highly
> modulating brake setup should help. There was very little modulation
> on the Gunnar setup compared to how I've now learned to set up high
> profile cantis after doing some research.

Rene -

It sounds like what you are describing is canti-induced fork "chatter", as
opposed to a shimmy.  They are certainly similar in causing significant
vibration, but quite different with respect to cause. My old (non-riv) CX
bike did this heroically.

To paraphrase other posts on other lists, basically, what you have is a
flexing - either at the posts, through the legs or through the hanger - that
hanger flex probably more than anything. This causes a micro-release not
dissimilar to an automotive anti-lock brake. So, you are in effect releasing
and stopping the rim at high frequency.  It's more a fore-aft motion.

Shimmy is well described in the Jobst posts that Steve cited.  The vibration
is different - more of an oscillation, and doesn't institute by braking.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part4/section-25.html

I've ridden alongside JimG when it occurs.  He could forecast quite
accurately when it was about to happen. Also, he could move above that speed
and have it level out again, IIRC.

- Jim

-

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Gallery updates now appear here - http://cyclofiend.blogspot.com

"There were messengers who named their bikes, but Chevette never would have
done that, and somehow because she did think about it like it was something
alive."

William Gibson - "Virtual Light"