Actually, I said no such thing.  I wrote that I was going 45 mph and
moved from the drops to the tops & a tuck when the slight vibration
started.  I immediately reverted to the drops & the vibration stopped.

Thanks for the reference to the ibob, discusiion  & Brandt's
thoughts.  The thing that most struck me was Jobst assertion that
shimmy should be repeatable event, so I set out today, the last day of
my vacation, to climb the same mountain road with exactly the same set
up and see if I could repeat the shimmy on the descent.  Unfortunately
I got rained out before I could complete this exercise.

I did take a much hillier route over the the base of the mountain to
see if I could reproduce it at somewhat slower speeds.  When Prof.
Garmin recorded my speed at 37.5, I let go of the handlebars on my
Rambouillet.  Then I shifted my weight between the pedals and seat,
but was unable to create any shimmy.  The road was relatively smooth,
like the downhill that originally created a vibration, but it did have
a long series of vertical tar snakes running across the road.  I
repeated this exercise on a bumpy road at 31 mph, and again, nothing.

I headed up the mountain road, but only got about one mile when the
skies opened; so I spent a pleasant half hour in a barn with a farm
worker overhauling a tractor engine.  We hit it off despite the fact
that his english wasn't any better than my spanish.  After thatI
decided it wasn't a good day for high balling down the mountain.

Michael