FWIW .... I've found it's not necessary to have a perfectly square
cable end. I've driven myself nuts trying to do it, but then realized
as long as the cut is clean, the angle doesn't have to be perfectly
square. This is based on my many trials and errors. The most useful
tool I have is one I'm not sure the name of it is. It's essentially a
pick that I use to inset into cable ends after cutting and filing, to
ensure it's fully open.  As filing is great and all, but it can
compress the metal inside the cable, where it's unreachable, hence
using the pick I wedge it in there and gently ream it in back to
proper size.