Waht was the relationship of the foot to the pedal in this recommendation.
It will make a big difference if the ball of the foot is on the pedal versus
the rear of the foot or heel.  Most modern discussions allow that there is
definitely such a thing as having too small of a knee angle at max
extension, with 25 degrees being a common minimum recommendation.  Whether
or thot that is "just a wee bit of flex" is beyond me.  I'd prefer to work
to the number or to use my elaborate method.  And, it didn't feel "wee" to
me when I was set up by this method.

The stress on knees from too little knee angle is in the back of the knee.
For too much knee angle, it's the back of the kneecap, felt in the front of
the knee.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:31 AM, kevin lindsey <lindsey.ke...@gmail.com>wrote:

> David Wilson, in "Bicycle Science" (the bible of bicycle engineering),
> advocated no knee flex at 6:00, meaning that a rider seeking maximum
> efficiency should raise his or her saddle just a bit if his or her
> knee is slightly bent at that position.  Any flex there and you lose a
> significant amount of power from your stroke.  That's the theory.  In
> practice, as even Wilson admitted, you need just a wee bit of flex in
> order to avoid undue stress to the knees, if I recall correctly.  In
> essence, it's possible that the triathlete thought that your knee was
> bend a bit more than necessary and that your saddle could indeed come
> up.
>
> On Sep 26, 6:29 pm, GeorgeS <chobur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I rode my club's century today and as I was toiling up a hill, a young
> > triathlete sort on a plastic thing (the tubes were not even round!)
> > came by me and he said "Sir, you might want to raise your seat a bit
> > so you'll get more leverage."  Unsolicited advice is so cool.  My
> > immediate thought was to tell him that I had been riding bikes since
> > before he was born, but I've been trying to keep my mouth out of gear
> > so I didn't say anything.  But then I started thinking that back in
> > the day, the rule of thumb, at least as it was passed down to me, was
> > that when the pedal is in the 6 o'clock position, the knee should be
> > very slightly bent.  I've been doing that with every bike I've set up
> > for lo these many years.  Was that wrong?  Has there been any progress
> > in thinking on this subject?
> > GeorgeS

Ken Freeman
Ann Arbor, MI USA