Speaking as someone with somewhat troublesome knees, I cannot stand
having my saddle height any lower than even 1-2 cm below my highest
tolerable position. If I'm not getting a full extension with my quad I
have a sensation of holding my breath in my knees. Also, your legs are
strongest at the top of your extension.

The real difference between TT, racing, and touring saddle positions
is fore-to-aft. Having your saddle further forward is more efficient
but less comfortable. When sliding your saddle back for comfort you
must also lose some height to reproduce the same distance from saddle
top to pedal. That triathlete type may not know the difference and was
just assuming all saddle positions should be equal. Also, increases in
flexibility allow an increase in saddle height.