> 1. brakes (Silvers or Dia-Compe's or Paul center-pulls?)

I have Paul centerpulls on my Saluki. I'm *very* happy with them, though I
can't compare them, not having ridden the others.

> 2. wheels (Rich-built Synergy 32h 105?)

The 36H Synergy Peter White-built wheels I have are tight and strong. I'm the
third owner of the bike, so they must be seven or eight years old. Also very
happy with the SON20 generator hub and White M1.5 cassette rear hub, though I
doubt I could afford those starting from scratch.

> 3. tires (Soma Xpress 38? Pari-Moto? CdlV?)

In the short time (six months) I've had my Saluki I've tried Pari-Motos, white
Hetres and Marathons. (Slightly used tires often come up on the list for
cheap!) Pari-Motos ride the nicest by far. Hetres were fine, but I switched to
Marathons when I put fenders on for the winter, and haven't put the Hetres back
on to see if they'll fit under my Berthoud composite fenders. The Marathons
seem hardier than the others (though I have had one flat already), but feel
wooden compared to the Pari-Motos, and I have less confidence carrying speed
through corners. Maybe it's the squeaky sound they make when pushed. When the
Marathons wear out (in several years...) I'll probably get some Marathon
Supremes (extra-super-flat-proof) for the rainy season commute and off-pavement
excursions, and stick with Pari-Motos for summer long rides.

Rob in Seattle