Lee:

Nice photos.  Motivates me to head for the trail tomorrow.  To your
question regarding preference, it's a mood thing.  Like you, sometimes
I like to push it a bit on the pavement, and other times it's relaxing
to just dawdle around in the dirt (of course, for me that usually
involves plenty of pushing too!).  There are several rides I do where
I use a fire trail or similar to connect together a couple of paved
areas.  These short cuts usually take a lot more time & effort than
staying on the pavement would.  The nice thing about a Rivendell is
they are happy to do it all.

dougP