I run Schwalbe Marathon Supremes on my Atlantis, 700 x 35.  My un-
loaded tire pressure is 50 front & 60 rear (kinda sorta based on Jan's
tire pressure chart).  Never thought to lower it off road.  I'm moving
up a size next time I need tires.

I try to keep steady pedal pressure, not pound or otherwise change it
too quickly.  Sometimes I just 'stall out" on hills, sometimes spin.
That's telling me it's time for a walk.  I have lots of gears & use
'em all, especially the little ones.  Can't imagine doing this on a
single speed - you must have very good technique.

Andy M does better on the dirt than I.  He uses I believe the Schwalbe
XR around 2" wide on 26" wheels.  These have a more agressive tread
pattern the Supreme but don't seem any noisier on the road.

dougP