Doug, I hope you do ride some trails soon! I, too, get a lot of
inspiration from other listers stories and pics. I just love how these
Rivs are so good at both roads and trails. One story from the ride
that I just reported: About half-way up this great, paved climbed
called Conzelman Road, construction workers were out fixing up the
roads. (As locals would know, they are doing major road renovations
all in the Headlands and various roads are off-limits for months at a
time.). While climbing the road to the half-way point to get to our
trail, the construction crew had stopped all traffic. They were laying
long swaths of aggregate down, and then ferrying cars across in
intervals. They were adamantly refusing access to all cyclists,
telling them that there's no way a bike could get across such
treacherous ground. Other cyclists were turning back, but I sidled up
to the main dude and asked what made it treacherous. He said the beds
were aggregate, sharp and pointy, covering the road for a good 50
yards or so. The crew chief gave me a p.o.'d look and said "you'll pop
your tires and then what will you do!". I thought: this is exactly why
I've chosen the kind of bikes, build, and tires that I'm riding. It
was born for this. So, I told him I'd take my chances and that I have
a very tough bike. So, they let us through. The terrain was no worse
than some of the gravely trails in the Headlands. But if you bet that
I was sweating it hoping that a freak mishap wouldn't occur, you'd be
a winner.

As for technique, that is much too elegant a word for what I do out
there :)

Best,
Lee