In the case of that particular bag, I think they see the newer BarSack
as an improvement and progress.  That is likely the view on many of
the designs.  They have said that about their frames in the past as
well.  While a couple of the bags fetch good money on ebay, it is hard
for us to look from the outside and know if they were great sellers to
start with, or if the newer offerings are selling far better than the
old ones did.  What we do know is that they like to make improvements
and leave some of the old designs behind.

Some of the designs while functional were never very consistent
dimensionally.  I love Hobo bags, but an inch here or there makes it a
pretty different bag, and I am not sure there were ever two the same.
I think this combined with some general supply chain issues is why we
see so few of these and have yet to see Smythe bags in a while.

Maybe there will be something new in the works, the stuff they have
coming out of RI is very well made, just not oll of the "classic"
designs of the past.  Maybe a new company will fill in on the
percieved demand?

Rob
-
http://oceanaircycles.com/