Some of the earliest cool bags that Rivendell carried -- and brought
back to the forefront of American cycling consciousness as a result --
were from Carradice.
Thanks in no small part to Rivendell's efforts in that regard, we now
have dozens of excellent small bag makers across the country,
including Lemolo, ChicagoWig, Black Star, Freight and Acorn. I am glad
for all of them and the diversity of design and function their bags
offer.

I still love and adore my Carradice saddlebags -- my oldest is going
on 15 years now and could use some reproofing but still works great.
The problem is that Carradice has never really grown their production
to meet increased demand, especially since establishing "stockists"
worldwide, and now it takes months for a retailer to get their
Carradice order. (Disclaimer: my shop is a Carradice stockist.)
Carradice bags remain an excellent product, well-made and durable and
giving tremendous bang-for-the-buck/pound. But you need to be patient
and persistent to get one these days.

Meanwhile, Rivendell offers some excellent American-made bags that are
more expensive partly because of the quality, and partly because
they're American-made. I appreciate that Rivendell cares about the
state of American manufacturing and supports companies that are
committed to keeping it alive, even on a smaller scale. When my budget
allows, I am willing to pay the higher price for an American-made bag
or garment, because I know that the person who made it is being paid a
fair wage and works under safe, regulated working conditions. Not
incidentally, my American-made stuff tends to last longer these days
than its cheaper [Chinese-made] counterpart. Those things matter to
me, and I suspect they matter to quite a few other folks as well. If
they didn't, Rivendell's ethic wouldn't fly and they'd be scrambling
to offer the cheaper stuff in a hurry.

Be patient. More coolness is probably on the horizon.
beth