Jan

I'm extremely flattered at your almost instant reply.  I don't know if
that means you regularly read the list or if somebody you know does.
I admire your work deeply and endorse your publication
enthusiastically.  Every copy of BQ I've seen has had something
astonishing for me.  This issue was no different.  I am pleased to be
a subscriber.

Regarding shimmy, it's possible that my expectations were
unrealistic.  I thought I'd learn some conclusive, empirically
testable conclusions, and I didn't get that.  That being the state of
things, I'm motivated now to experiment myself.  I'm certain that you
encourage that, and your article actually has helped urge me to do
that which I think is a positive outcome.

The things that 100% can agree upon is that shimmy is an oscillation.
For that reason, it is easy to assume that there should be a spring
+mass+damper model that can be used to understand the system.
Whatever that system is, we can also agree, I think, that there exists
some excitation force is acting on that system and making it
oscillate.  The missing piece in the few articles I've read prior to
yours is a failure to establish and define what any of these things
even are.  What is the spring?  You argue that it is the flexing
torsion of the frame, but then concede that both the stiff frames you
hate nor the flexy frames you love both don't shimmy.  You imply that
tire flex has something to do with the system, but it's not clear to
me whether you think it's part of the spring, the mass, the damper,
the exitation force, a combination, or all four.  What is the mass?
Some suggest that it is only the steering parts, others state it is
everything including rider and the rear part of the bike.  What's the
damper?  You argue that it's the stuff that hinders rotation: headset
plus riders hands, and indirectly the riders leg squeezing the top
tube.  J. Brandt says tire tread is also a significant damper.
Regarding the excitation force, there is no consensus of what it is or
where it comes from.  Sheldon(RIP) said it came from the back end of
the bike, J. Brandt says it comes from the spinning wheel and
sometimes from the natural frequency of human shivering.  You, I
think, allow it to be anything, since it is the amplifying or
attenuating property of the system that is important, hence the
artificial whacking the top tube to get it going.  If there isn't even
consensus on what the system is, then there is no hope to formally
construct a comprehensive understanding of that system.

It very well may be that shimmy is just a property of a bike+rider
system that is the unknown functional combination of numerous
unmeasurable variables.  If that's the real answer, then maybe you're
recommendation is the only one that works:

If your bike shimmies, change something
If it got better, be happy or change the same thing even more
If it got worse, change the same thing in the other direction
If it stayed the same, change something else

Again, my opinions about whether or not your article not meets my
expectations does not reflect on the quality of your contributions to
the cycling world.  I hoped that your article starts a dialogue that
gets the topic driven to a more satisfying scientific understanding.
It all strikes me as voodoo right now.  With all due respect, this
needle bearing headset thing, especially, strikes me as voodoo.

Bill