Mike

This is part of the voodoo feel to the whole thing.  You can find an
article that says knobbies damp out shimmy.  You can find another that
says knobbies supply the excitation force for shimmy.  You can find
another article that states that wide tires like knobbies are
typically more compliant and therefore enable low frequency
oscillations to be amplified by the system.

My first few experiments are going to be:

1.  Baseline the bike.  Log initial condition of all independent
variables that I might change.  Attempt to measure the frequency and
amplitude of the shimmy
2.  Vary front tire pressure and ride.  Note changes
3.  Vary rear tire pressure and ride.  Note changes
4.  take reference weight (like maybe two full water bottles) and put
them at various locations on the system and note any changes
    A.  On front rack
    B.  In H2O cages
    C.  In jersey pocket
    D.  On rear rack
    E.  maybe elsewhere
5.  Change tires
6.  Change front wheel
7.  Change rear wheel
8.  Tighten headset or similarly damp steering
9.  Load rear end heavily
10.  Load front end heavily