I know this topic is grossly OT, but the idea that carbs, even refined
carbs, are somehow "bad for you" is just egregiously absurd: tell it
to the Chinese, Indians, Native Americans, Italians and other groups
whose principal source of food is grains of some sort or another. The
Japanese have very long average life, and it isn't because they are
scarfing down bacon and cheese.

Sit still, quiet, breathe deeply, think peaceful thoughts, cultivate
one-ness with the cosmos -- and be patient, patient, patient: this fad
too shall pass.

Patrick "happily and skinnily (at a svelte almost 56, 5'10" in bare
feet, 170 lb) eating his home made French bread with olive oil, salt
and pepper, who believes that a real culprit of dietary sin is
processed foods and who eats very little of them because they are so
g-d disgusting!

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Patrick in VT <swing4...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 8:12 pm, Rene Sterental <orthie...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The short answer is that carbs create and trigger addiction responses, just
>> like nicotine, alcohol and other drugs. When you are hooked, you crave them
>> for all the reasons explained in the book (High insuline, lack of calories
>> for normal function because most are stored in the fat tissue, etc.)
>
> you're starting with the premise of being an addict, or in the case of
> food, people who have most likely been chronically overweight,
> unhealthy and/or unfit.  carbs, or any other source of calories for
> that matter, do not pose a problem for people who have a healthy, long-
> standing relationship with food.  just like beer and wine don't pose a
> problem for one who is control of his or her drinking.
>
>> I know other authors talk about how to use carbs when excercising, but I'd
>> be willing to bet that if one takes the time to fully change eating
>> paradigms . . ..
>
> It seems to me that those who espouse atkins, taubes, et al. are those
> who chronically struggle with weight, health and fitness.  they also
> tend to be focused on weight loss and not overall health, as evidenced
> by the diets they embrace.
>
> Most of the truly healthy, fit people i know eat/drink what ever they
> want - but it's mostly vegetables, whole grains, nuts,
> fruits . ..stuff without nutrition labels. carbs are certainly not
> forbidden - two of my friends are outstanding bakers and delicious
> bread and cake is always on the table when we eat together.  the
> handful of serious athletes (those who train, compete to win) I know
> are all vegetarian/vegan.  none of these folks follow a *diet.* I
> haven't seen any of them gain or lose significant weight for years.
>
> the other thing they have in common is that they cook *a lot*, which,
> for me, is absolutely essential to maintaining a healthy relationship
> with food.  In fact, I'd suggest buying a good cookbook, rather than a
> *diet* book, for anyone who is serious about repairing their
> relationship with food and living a healthier lifestyle.

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact
Patrick Moore, ACRW at resumespecialt...@gmail.com