I tour with front and rear panniers, plus a handlebar bag. My Atlantis
handles perfectly unless I try to squeeze too much weight in the
handlebar bag. Front panniers, no problem, even if I load them up with
heavy things.  As I like to tour in the mountains, I have plenty of
experience on downhills with a load. No problem.

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Khalid Mateen <krm2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Cyclofiend
>
> I say this with respect but it is not an assumption.  There are report that
> when the Atlantis is front loaded and goes pass a certain mile/hr, the bike
> begins to wobble alot.  Especially on down hills.  I just want to get
> peoples experience on this.  Is it really bad?  Can you just brace the
> bicycle when moving at high speeds?
>
> No disrespect to you cyclofiend.  Not trying to start a debate but looking
> for people input.
>
> K.
>
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 3:13 PM, CycloFiend <cyclofi...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> on 4/5/11 8:05 AM, Khalid Mateen at krm2...@gmail.com wrote:
>>

>> I know that the Atlantis is design for rear loading more than front
>> on a Atlantis?
>>
>> For the best answers to this, I would search back through the archives - I
>> know there have been several threads on loading the Atlantis (and other Riv
>> models).  I don't have ready access to a specific search, but it should be
>> pretty findable.
>>
>> Regarding the design, I'm not at all sure that I agree with the base
>> assumption.  While certainly there are bicycle design choices that favor
>> handling with heavy front loads, there are enough riders who balance load or
>> front load their Rivendells to demonstrate the flexibility of the RBW
>> models.  Carrying cargo on the front end of a bike is one thing, putting
>> food and some gear in a rando bag is another.
>>
>> Personally, of late I've been flipping back and forth between the Hilsen
>> (Country Bag aft) and the Quickbeam (L'il Loafer-ized currently, but often
>> with a small rando bag near the bow), and find it more of a correction to go
>> to the Hilsen than back to the 'Beam.   And then a couple miles go by and
>> I'm watching hawks and enjoying the ride... ;^)
>>
>> - Jim
>>

>> --
>> Jim Edgar
>> cyclofi...@earthlink.net
>>
>> Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
>> Current Classics - Cross Bikes
>> Singlespeed - Working Bikes
>>
>> Gallery updates now appear here - http://cyclofiend.blogspot.com
>>

>> "I had to ride slow because I was taking my guerrilla route, the one I
>> follow when I assume that everyone in a car is out to get me."
>> -- Neal Stephenson, "Zodiac"
>>
>> --

-- Anne Paulson

My hovercraft is full of eels