On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 13:52, Steve Palincsar <palin...@his.com> wrote:
> If gearing choices don't matter to you, fine; and if you happen to be a
> real genuine fan of 14-28 Alpine, then God bless you - some long
> winter's evening maybe you can explain to me how the shifting pattern
> works, and who knows, long about the 4th or 5th hot toddy I might
> actually get it.  Otherwise, you are so out of luck.

You have outlined a pretty weird drinking game there.

Actually I do like the 14-28 five-speed - you can make a nice halfstep
with it and it has a good range, but I also have found from my recent
experience with half-step that I don't need the fine steps between
gears that halfstep provides. I would rather have more substantial
jumps between gears, especially after riding fixed gear for a long
time, the fine gear steps seem irrelevant as I am willing and able to
pedal at different cadences.

Also, bottom feeding - by that I mean that I have boxes of take-off
bike parts from the several UJBs I have purchased over the years,
including old wheelsets and various barely used 14-28 five-speed
freewheels. They aren't garbage, they work fine.

But on my last wheelbuild, I messed around with freewheels because it
was a direct way to get a multi-gear drivetrain with some elegant high
flange hubs on a bike with 126mm dropout spacing. And I would do it
again!

When I put that rSogn together, on the other hand, I will use NOS
Shimano Deore DX freehubs with a 7-speed hyperglide cassette.

James Black
Los Angeles, CA