I rode through VT last year-  what a beautiful state.     There are
lots of places to camp, not all of them 'designated'.    Usually I
just ride until it is about an hour before dark, then start thinking
about a spot for camping.    If you are on less-traveled roads or in
national forest areas, you'll find something.    Just don't leave too
many beer cans and cigarette butts behind and you're good to go.*
Best of luck and have fun!

-Matt

*clue for the humorless:  kidding.   thanks