Not instead; possibly in addition to. But if you have your bars and
drop levers set up properly the question of needing another pair of
levers on the bar's flats doesn't even really arise for pavement
riding; they are useful sometimes for very rough or steep terrain
where you want to get way back on the saddle and thus cannot easily
reach the drop levers; but that apart, there's really no need --
again, if you set drop levers up right. You will probably be using the
hoods position more than any other, in any event, where the brake
levers are right to hand.

I installed them once on a mountain bike with drops and found them
only marginally useful; I debated adding them to my last three off
road bikes, all three also with drops, but decided against it: I
always have the bars high enough that I can reach road levers even
when pushed far off the rear of the saddle.

There is a reason why they are called "cross" levers: they were
developed for use as described above.

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Jay <robin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I bought Forrest's Sam Hillborne and am having it built for commuting
> in a mix of interurban roads and city traffic and the occasional tour.
> Coming from a sordid MTB past, I currently commute on an old steel
> mountain bike with slicks. I ordered the Nitto Noodle bars on faith,
> never having actually used drop bars before.
> I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to go with cross style
> interrupter levers either in addition to or instead of the drop bar
> brake levers for better control in traffic.
> Or is it just a matter of getting used to the drop bar levers?
>
> Thanks,
> Jay

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact
Patrick Moore, ACRW
patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com

A billion stars go spinning through the night
Blazing high above your head;
But in you is the Presence that will be
When all the stars are dead.
(Rilke, Buddha in Glory)