First off - glad you are okay.  Possibly could have been an overheated
rim.  On the other hand, had a similar rim failure early this year on
my LHT (which is also a winter commuter).  My LBS concluded that a
small stone (or something similar) got stuck in a brake pad and
quickly cut a deep groove in the wall of the rim.  Which then failed.
Might want to check your pads and make sure nothing is embedded and
waiting to chew another rim apart.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN