On Dec 5, 2011, at 2:35 AM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery wrote:

> We had a string of rim failures this summer, maybe 5-6 in just a few weeks
> (it seemed). All were cases of simple wear, except in Eric's case, where
> there was an obvious groove likely caused by a foreign object in an otherwise
> lightly worn rim. One guy had worn out and cracked both rims in a very short
> time, but he is well known at the shop for his rapid pace of brake pad wear
> (I suspect he brakes subconsciously at every intersection or any long-shot
> potential for danger).
>
> Rims are definitely a wear item. I've read claims by old-timers like Jobst
> Brandt that suggest rims should last tens of thousands of miles. IME, that is
> generally not the case. Perhaps modern rim alloys are softer, or maybe brake
> pads are different, or perhaps there are more bike commuters out in foul
> weather nowadays?

With the MA2 (non-anodized, spoke nipple sockets) and 36 spokes on a 5
speed/120 OLN  or 6 speed 126 OLN  wheel that was possible.  With 8/9/10 speed
wheels on 130 mm it ain't gonna happen, especially with the minimal spoking
patterns now considered normal.  Modern road frame designs aren't going to
accommodate the 145 mm OLN that would be needed to sufficiently reduce dish.

Bike components are no longer durable goods in the eyes of the bike industry.
They think it's just fine for you to spend $5000 every 2-4 years to replace
your bike.  What, a bike should last longer than that?  Pah!

My All-Rounder has 135 mm OLN with a 7 speed Phil hub and freewheel (Jim's shop
knows this wheel well, they spent about 4 hours trying to get a freewheel off
of it, finally resorting to disassembling the freewheel and cutting it off with
an angle grinder.  I didn't ask for the details.  But I digress).  The original
build was in 1996 with a Sun CR-16 rim (polished, no eyelets).  The dish is
only about 2 mm.  That rim lasted for 14 years/30,000 miles until it finally
developed a crack by one of the spoke holes.  I've never broken a spoke on that
wheel; now I can't remember if I used new spokes when I rebuilt that wheel or
taped the new rim (CR-18) to the old and transferred the spokes to the new rim
since the ERD is within a mm between the two.

I think the key points of rim longevity are (1) number of spokes, (2) less dish
is much, much better and no dish is perfect, (3) minimizing braking wear.  The
last point is going to be dependent on a lot of factors- if you live in a
mountainous rainy area you're going to wear through rims faster than a fair
weather rider in Kansas who can go for a 50 mile ride without touching the
brakes except at the very end of the ride.  Many modern rims have some kind of
wear indicator built into the braking surface.