. The article is for  fixed conversion, but I did this on an old beater
using a BMX cog and spacers on a 7 speed wheel. Couldn't make it slip no
matter how hard I pedalled.  Looked nice too.

Quote as follows:

"I used a more drastic solution: on my Bianchi Osprey. I cut the rear axle
short so that it didn't protrude past the surfaces of the locknuts. Thus,
only the quick-release skewer went through the dropouts. Since the skewer
is quite a bit thinner than the actual axle, this gives me considerably
more adjustment room.

If the skewer is properly tightened, the axle is held in place by the
friction of the locknuts being pressed against the inside of the dropouts.
If this were not the case, horizontal dropouts would not be usable, since
the forward pull on the chain creates a larger force against the axle than
supporting the rider's weight does. Just to be on the safe side, I carried
a spare skewer along with my spare tube.

I rode that setup for a couple of years with no problems, but later got a
deal on a Bianchi B.a.S.S. purpose-built singlespeed frame that fits me
better, is notably lighter and has horizontal track-type fork ends, so I'm
no longer using that setup"

http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html#vertical