The downsides are (1) it can interfere with rear brake pad positioning
if you switch between cogs of different sizes; and (2) it can make the
tire crowd the brake bridge. This happened to me on the ** cut down,
dremeled, hacksawed, mutilated Rivendell ** fixed gear conversion (my
'94/5 Waterford 26" Road): snow would pack up under the fender at the
bridge. Of course, I fixed that by rotating the ENO the other way.

I also took a big rattail file to the vertical dropouts of that
DiamondBack mtb to allow the ENO to accomodate a 3 t difference. But
you have to be careful that you file evenly -- a tiny error in
symmetry will make the wheel cockeyed. (There is a metaphysical idea
skulking in there somewhere, something about a tiny error in the
beginning leading to a major awkwardness in remote effects blah blah
blah blah...).

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 9:40 AM, clyde canter <clyde.can...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dang!  That's neat you brought that up.  White should use the wheelbase
> aspect as a selling point.  I found "that" the coolest thing about the ENO
> hub....the fact you get a centemeter of play for tire clearance.  If you get
> the ring/ cog combo to work  by having the wheel down and rearward you can
> gain a bit more tire room on frames with tight clearances.  In your C-C's
> case you can offset the center of gravity change at the BB.  Expensive
> solutions to minor problems true, but I like it!
>

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery
> <thill....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ha! I have an eccentric ENO hub on my Cross-Check with long horizontal
>> dropouts. Now I can adjust through a more or leas continuous spectrum of
>> chain tension, wheelbase, BB height, and trail. I should send it to Jan for
>> scientific analysis!
>>
>> (PS: I had the wheel in a v-dropout fixie before I got the CC frame, and
>> it made sense to just keep using it even with h-dropouts. People who notice
>> this always suspect that I have a wacky technical agenda with this system,
>> but I don't. Honest!)
>>
>> --

Patrick Moore, Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact Patrick Moore, ACRW
http://resumespecialties.com/index.html

A billion stars go spinning through the night
Blazing high above your head;
But in you is the Presence that will be
When all the stars are dead.

Ranier Maria Rilke, Buddha in Glory