I believe it was Jim Thill who made a comment a while back about how he
loves when a "nice" bike has some less-nice components or accessories. I
agree. The tragedy is a bike that's 10 years old and is still new. I've
seen FS posts like that on the list here a couple times... Somebody buys a
really nice bike and outfits it with top shelf stuff, but then it sits and
never goes anywhere. I remember in one instance it was health related but
I'd guess others are more "now that I have my perfect bike, it's too nice
to ride" kind of attitude. The bike that gets ridden is the beautiful one.

You don't need to look any further than the bottom of this recent Blug
post<http://rivbike.tumblr.com/post/26844042523/great-little-book-carbs-court-relief-ms-and-tennis>for
 a perfect example. That's not what most of us would consider a "nice"
bike, but the kid's out there touring on it. I'll bet he's having the time
of his life on that bike. When River is back home talking about and
remembering the trip he's not going to be concerned with whether or not
shinier bits would have made it better.

I'm guilty of falling into one side or the other of the "that bike is
better than mine" envy (or smugness if I'm thinking it's my bike thats the
better one). I try to catch myself before my head gets too big or I get too
obsessive about upgrading some shiny bit. I find the more I ride the less I
get trapped in the theoretical analysis of what parts I need to better my
bike.

Your Sam is an awesome bike. I have no idea how you have it set up now but
with the turn of a few screws it can be a tourer, an off-roader, an
on-roader, a trailer hauler, a basket wearer, you can fender it up and ride
all winter. The beauty of a bike is more than the sum of it's shiny bits.
Just ride it.