Still the greatest city in the world. Been riding these streets for 41
years,over the 59th st bridge at age 10 with friends from Astoria,no bike
lane,you had to ride the outer rodeway w. cars. It was suicide.  It should
be up to the rider if he/she wants to wear a helmet. I was a bike messenger
in the late 70's NYC and didn't wear one. Cops never bothered cyclist
then,they do now. I preferred riding the streets of NY when no bike lanes
existed, although Mayor Koch tried it in the early 80's. That was a bad
move. More rules bring more enforcement. There is a serious bike boom going
on so I guess you need more rules. Grant offers some good advice about
fatter tires, but not all bikes can take them. Just did a 53 miler w. a
friend from westchester, down to staten Island ferry then back up east
river drive to Cental park,Harlem to Bronx,Westchester and I can't think
of a better bike to do it on. Saluki !!! How do you say "33rd and 3rd" ?