I have a clear coated Bombadill. I'm in the SF bay area, east bay,
past the oakland hills.
The frame was not spotlessly prepped before the powder coat went on.
There are areas with what I suspect is flux from the assembly. There
are some areas that might be a touch of oxidation, but more lace like
than spotting. I am very happy with it. If I do get concerned about
increasing rust I'll take it by RBW for a consult, but it doesn't seem
like its going to be an issue.
I have heard that folks in more corrosive environments (e.g. constant
sea breezes) can experience rust under clear powder coat. I think
customer satisfaction issues related to appearance of clear coated
bikes drove RBWs decision to move away from using it.
I don't think that pigment in powder coat (or its absence) changes the
bikes susceptibility to rust.

If you like the look and don't mind paying to redo a perfectly good
existing finish, go ahead and do it.