I'm with Garth, check your yoke angle.  I've got Paul Touring cantis on one
bike and feel they are very strong.  In fact, just as strong as the V
brakes on my other bikes.

Otherwise, check the angle of the pads and arms.  On long arm cantis, I
personally set up the brakes so when the pad hits, the arms and yoke are
around 90 degrees.  Pretty sure I starting using that from reading the
Sheldon Brown article on canti setup.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN