I agree that the product line can be somewhat confusing, but it makes sense
if you think of it as two separate lines (lower-cost and fancy), each with
three models varying from road-y to offroad-y:

Low cost: San Marcos-- Hillborne-- Hunqapillar
Fancy: Roadeo-- Homer-- Bombadil

And then there are two unique models which don't fit quite into either:
Betty Foy and Atlantis, although you could argue that the Atlantis would
slot into the fancy line-up between Homer and Bombadil.  I think it's just
there because it's a "forever" bike that Riv would never want to stop
production of.

Now, it's my belief that this is the intention of the current lineup, but
because juggling production timing can be difficult (and hence sometimes
they even need to source the lower-cost frames from Waterford), and because
a lot of people still opt for the good parts on the cheaper frames (has
anybody really gone for the microshift option?), both lines end up being
much closer in cost than was probably the original intention.

I would agree that adding disc brakes and threadless headsets would
instantly make Rivendells palatable to a much wider set of riders, but
Rivendell only exists because they've been making a stand for years against
the prevailing market trends, and part of that is not just making the bikes
but putting in the time and effort to educate people about the choices that
go into a Rivendell bike, and in that sense to create their own market.
Hence the old readers, the old print catalog, the current
bulkier-than-average copy for each and every product on the webpage, the
Blug, and of course, Just Ride.  And why people like us sit around and
spend hours discussing these bikes.  I say stick to their guns and continue
the model that's brought them this far.