I say if you can dream it build it.  There may be less expensive ways to do
it as others have pointed out, most notably the Alfine 11 speed IGH, but
part of the fun of bikes and gear is coming up with off the wall
applications.

I recently converted my Handsome Devil from a Sugino Triple 46/36/26 with 8
speed cassette to a single 34t with 9 speed 11x34 cassette.  It works great
in my hilly area of Seattle and gives me a nice simple bike when I just
want to hope on and go.  One Derailleur, one shifter (Friction bar end)
one chainring.  So far I have had no chain drop issues which I was warned
by a LBS owner was a big draw back of of 1x9's. of course I think he was
just trying to selling me on a IGH.  I have a Paul Chain keeper but I
haven't gotten around to installing because its just hasn't been
necessary.

Whatever you do have fun with the build and of course post some pics.

Ryan