As long as it shifts smoothly into and out of the big/big combo (i.e., you
can't feel any binding) you should be good.  Cage angle doesn't make much
of a difference.

I use the big-big + 1 complete link (i.e. one whole set of inner and outer
plates) rule of thumb and it's served me well.  The caveat i would add is
that "big big" means the minimum amount of chain that would go over both
cogs and still *easily* close--i.e. it wouldn't be a stretch to connect.
 Then add one complete link and cut from there.