First, you always want to make sure you can reach the big-ring, big-sprocket combo. You might not ever use it (and you shouldn't), but if you accidentally shift into it (sudden red light as your cruising along in the big ring) and you can't reach it, you might destroy your rear derailer. That being said, Sheldon's site has good advice. I have always used the method of, with the chain threaded normally, carefully shifting to the big-big combo, then check that you could remove one link pair when the derailer is fully extended. You need this little bit of slack so the chain can ride up and onto the big ring before settling onto it. More slack is OK as long as the derailer can take up the slack. Even if it can't, you may get chain suck and skipping, and you'll definitely hear a lot of complaining from your drivetrain, but ay least you won't permanently destroy things.

Kerry Kunsman
San Diego, CA