There is very little useful information contained in that oft-discussed
quantity known as bike weight. If you shave 100 grams off your handlebar, the
effect is different than shaving 100 grams off your tires. Even specifying
frame weight tells only a small part of the story, since you can reduce frame
weight in a variety of ways.

Personally, I don't think about weight. I select components that have the
appropriate mix of function, looks, weight, durability, street cred, and
affordability, and let the bike weight be the dependent variable. Then I add 30
pounds of miscellaneous crap in various bags and accessories. Then I ride and
don't think about weight, or even speed.

For me, as an unracer and unrandonneur, weight and speed are irrelevant, except
that I need to have a rough idea how many minutes I should expect for my
commute, so I'm not late.