I will say that I appreciated Grant's mention of earbuds as a possible
culprit, as well as highlighting the important fact that you hear
trouble before you see it. As someone who's ridden over 10k city miles
in the past 2 years and most of them with earbuds until recently, I
was not long ago converted to never listening to music while riding.
The slew of mechanical problems that you can snuff out early before
too much danger as well as the "spidey sense",or priopreception with
other road users, is a super huge deal, I've come to realize.

As someone who's been repeatedly guilty of reckless or potentially
self-endangering riding while "in the zone"/in oblivion, the narrative
described sounds very much like it involved that distraction. It's of
course impossible for anyone but the rider in question to know what
all happened, but I think it highlights that good riding requires
restraint and full attention.

And then I stop and ask myself... why are we talking about one bad
apple amidst the droves of us whose lives have really been
substantially changed for the better because of the skill, care and
attention that define Rivendell? I have always been taken aback by the
degree to which everyone there that I've dealt with has gone out of
their way to make sure I'm happy. Grants response reminds of the
Confucius quote that goes: "It is more shameful to distrust a friend
than to be deceived by one".