Michael:

I can't answer your question but it does raise one on my part.  I have the
Rivendell standard issue triple crank (XD2?) and have often been bothered
by chain suck on the middle-to-granny shift.  Careful, well planned shifts
work fine.  It's the panicky, sloppy ones where I don't ease up enough on
the pedals that create the problem.

Does simply adding some shims at the middle ring solve this?  If so, what
thickness?  My crank did not come with shims so I never thought about
them.

dougP