The ideal for me is what I am building my new (to me) Hillborne into:
Flat pedals so I can wear whatever shoes I am wearing.
Fenders - longboard
Dyno: never going back. Lights always on front and back
Racks fore (Gamoh porteur (thanks for all the suggestions) with Wald 139
basket) and aft (Public bikes rack with spring)
Alba bars (upright is all right)
8 speed on back 11-32
40x26 + chainguard with no front derailer- essentially a 1x8 with a bailout
option. If I am using the 26 more than once a week (month? year?) I will
consider a front derailer
38mm tires
Brooks saddle

So many of these are personal choices I know. But this is a customization
group, isn't it??

Looking forward to finishing up in the next two weeks.

Edwin in Nashville