A woman on this list declared her intention a month or so ago to
install a Midge. I'd be interested in hearing her opinion of it, and
learning how she set it up.

Me, I am still of mixed minds. (Howzat for a weird metaphor.) On the
one hand, it is, both overall one of the better compromises for on-
and off-road; the hoods are better than those of the 46 cm Noodles
(which were too damn' wide) and the hooks, tho' even wider, are as
comfortable because so much nearer and shallower. Compared to 42 cm
Noodles, the Midge is as comfortable on the hoods (this is where, for
me, the Midge shines) but considerably less so in the hooks -- again,
width and, also, because you simply can't set up the hooks to be
parallel to the ground: they are far too shallow and short.

OTOH, the 42 Noodles were useless on anything except firm surfaces,
while the Midge is wide enough even at the hoods to offer considerable
leverage and,  in the hooks, gives all the control you need.

My problems with the Midge are (1) the great width in the hooks and
(2) how the slanted hooks make my very sensitive left palm suffer.
This last may be helped with even more added padding. As to the first,
I am wondering if I should lower the bar (currently ~2 cm above
saddle) a cm or two and use the hooks, not the hoods, as the cruising
position. But this means that, off road, the hooks will be hard to use
on steep drop-offs where you need maximum grip and braking.

Perhaps the solution is to have a separate off-road bike that I can
set up without any compromise for road riding ...

BUSINESS BUILDING COME-ON!!
$300 off a $600 resume + letter or Linked In profile package with
referral that leads to full price sale! Refer two full-pay clients and
you get the package for free!

I am not cheap, but I am very good. So they say.