I agree there are many good 27" tires still made, including Pasela TG
folding bead - Nashbar just got a new inventory of these.  Schwalbe
Marathons and Contis at the other end of the weight and toughness spectrum.
 Also agree that you can't always make the swap.  My rear centerpull,
Weinmann 750 is just not quite long enough to reach a 700c rim.