Actually Schwable, Panaracer and Continetial to name a few still make good
quality 27inch tires.  I agree that you do have more options with 700c but
that doesn't mean there are no good options for 27inch.

Hugh check my posting here is you want to see what your options are today
 for 27 inch
wheels
http://ryansrebuilds.blogspot.com/2013/02/myth-busted-there-are-very-few-options.html