If anyone's inclined to try a top tube-mounted position, Problem Solvers
has a clamp on shifter mount. Designed as 31.8mm clamp with shims for
28.6mm tubes, and mounts Shimano shifters. I don't see why it couldn't be
attached to the top tube (assuming diameter is appropriate).

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/downtube_shifter_mounts