Agreed. Good tools are worthwhile, but you can do it without the Park
cutter. I just cut some (Jagwire) shifter housing with my regular
sidecutters, and it was very hard. Not impossible. I've never used the
"real" tool, but now I might get one.

You shouldn't need replacement cables, since you're shortening things, but
if you do cut one cable or housing short, steal the rear one and just
replace that.
After you cut the housing, poke an awl into the end to open up the plastic
liner, and square up the end with a file or sanding block. If you're
careful with the pliers, you can reuse the cable ends, too. Squish 'em open
and slide them off. You get a square hole, but it works about 80% of the
time.

Philip
www.biketinker.com