I've gotten pretty good over the years at sizing people up by just looking at
them and using intuition/experience. Even when I worked at a bigger shop where
we charged a steep fee for a seemingly sophisticated black-box fitting, much of
the time changes to saddle position or stem length were warranted after the
customer had ridden the bike a bit in the real world.

Several years ago, I jokingly mentioned on a local forum that I offer a
"complaint-based fitting system". Tell me your complaint, and I'll suggest a
way to address it! I actually got a couple customers from that - but what they
needed wasn't a fitting, but a bike that was the right size. Most of the fit
problems are large (wrong bike, wrong size, etc), not subtle.